The International Center for Biosaline Agriculture(ICBA) is an international, non-profit agricultural research center established in 1999 through the imaginative leadership of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund, Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD), and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
25 April 2021
Open until filled
Program Leader – SNRM
The project duration is three years.
ICBA is a exclusive applied agricultural research center in the world that is focused on marginal areas where an estimated 1.7 billion people live. It introduces climate-smart, resource-efficient crops and technologies that are best suited to different regions affected by water scarcity, salinity and drought. ICBA helps to improve food security and livelihoods for the poorest rural communities around the world.
Background: The UAE Ministry of Education and the University of Wollongong in Dubai (UOWD), the International Center for Biosaline Agriculture in collaboration with the United Arab Emirates University and the University of Wollongong in Dubai will jointly implement Resilient Agrifood Dynamism through Evidence Based policies – READY project.
- Examine issues related to food security and contribute to vulnerability mapping
- Contribute to assessing and developing key food value chain processing and infrastructure in the UAE
- Contribute to identifying key value chains, gaps in the value chain, and mapping value chains.
- Contribute to developing a correlation matrix and food security computer-based management tool
- Contribute to the design of surveys and fieldwork.
- Contribute to developing scenarios that will represent potential futures that reach beyond classical trend analysis
- Take part in meetings, workshops, and conferences
- Contribute to analyzing and synthesizing data/marketing information on food and agricultural commodities to clearly identify medium- and long-term market opportunities for key food products
- Contribute to interpreting policy recommendations based on the results of scenario analysis
- Contribute to developing policy briefs, presenting policy options and recommendations in view of the analysis being carried out
- Authoring papers for publications in refereed journals
- Work with ICBA’s partners including the private sector, national centers, universities for advancing innovations for food value chain
Qualifications and Experience
- Ph.D. in food security and food value chain
- At least two years of experience in food security research
- A good publication record in indexed peer-reviewed journals
- Experience working as a member of multidisciplinary teams
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Ability to independently design and conduct research
- Experience in food security and gulf food value chain
- Knowledge of food systems simulation models
- Additional language skills, Arabic is desirable
- Experience in R programing/coding or other similar coding
- Good experience in economic analysis and modeling
ICBA is an equal opportunity employer and appoints qualified staff regardless of race, creed, color, age, gender, religion or national origin.
To apply please click here